Follow by Email

Wednesday, 29 March 2017

One day at Reliance Fresh....

The accent. That typical Goan way of dragging words that makes even English sound like Konkani. That's what first drew my attention. If I continued to listen, it was only because I wanted to know how it would end. 

I was doing some last-minute festival shopping at the Reliance Fresh supermarket close to home. I had picked the queue that had just one person waiting, praying that this action of mine wouldn't trigger whichever law it is that says the queue in which YOU choose to stand ALWAYS takes the longest to move.

The guy in front of me was trying to point out to the billing clerk that the price of wheat flour he had keyed in was five rupees more than the price mentioned on the board where the flour was stocked. Once I finished noticing the shopper's typical laidback Konk-glish tone, I didn't really pay attention because it was quite obvious there would be some kind of an argument. 

But then, life has a way of surprising us. Just when we think we have seen it all, things happen for our benefit - almost as if to jerk us out of our complacency, saying, "Look again. Nothing is definite; anything is possible."

In broken English, a little Kannada and a body language that spoke of embarrassment, the young supermarket staffer indicated that the offer was off and the cost he had keyed in was the actual cost. 

Surely, I thought, this is where the argument will start. 

But no, it didn't.

Going beyond the call of duty, the billing clerk offered to reduce the final bill by five rupees. 

I just loved what the Konk-glish tone guy did in reply. 

With a gentle smile and a firm shake of his head, he refused to accept the refund, because, in his words, "When your manager finds the account doesn't tally, he will cut it from your salary. I don't want to get you into trouble."

And then, having explained his logic, he told the billing clerk to get the board changed at once, so that other people wouldn't come and get into a fight with him.

The boy immediately called out to someone to change the board, and it was done at once. The Konk-glish tone guy smiled, said thank you, and left with his purchase, leaving two beaming, happy souls behind - the billing clerk, and ...... me !

Even as I write this post, I'm struck by the realization that this month, March 2017, marks the second anniversary of my blog. 

When I first started writing here, I thought it would be one of the ways to reach out to people with tips on living. As I kept writing, slowly, I found myself making the transition from doling out advice to sharing my experiences and learning. 

Whatever the mode I have adopted, there's one thing that has stayed a constant - the heartfelt, open and plentiful feedback I get from people who read this blog. 

Knowing there are people waiting to read, enjoy and learn from my writing spurs me to be even more observant of experiences like the one I've described in this post. 

Hoping to keep sharing more such real life uplifting and inspiring stories, here's wishing you all a Happy New Year on this day of Ugadi !

16 comments:

  1. First of all.... Happy 2nd anniversary to ur blog...

    And I'm one of the person who'll wait to read ur writings and like it......


    The every writing makes me open my eyes and see... In this way also the problem can be handled....

    Rather than having a fight.... Both the customer and biller had a healthy argument and agreed to each other......

    In this way also we can solve a small issues... Instead of making a violent environment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bhargavi. You're right...we need more people to be level-headed like the customer and billing clerk !

      Delete
  2. Great. . Always look forward to your writing. Nice to see you growing your wings.
    Why did you not try to strike a conversation with the fine konkani gentleman? We would hv got to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vatsala! I know, I should have spoken to him...but it was already 9.00 pm and hungry people were waiting at home for dinner to be made :D

      Delete
  3. Happy second anniversary to your blog annu..... May u write many more such beautiful writes.....It is really nice to read your blog.... True.... I think we have forgotten to let go....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nayana ! For your ever-encouraging comments and the wishes, too !

      Delete
  4. Really nice things we can learn frm ur posts...they r very obvious situations...but very deep inside... every1 is not having the eyes to see those hidden meanings..😇🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arfa ! I'm only now learning to see those meanings and I'm happy to share them.

      Delete
  5. First of all, madam let me congratulate you for second anniversary of "Your Blog".
    Now a days people are becoming a little more sensitive to the happenings around them and trying to respond in a more positive way.
    Good to read your blogs.

    M Narayana Babu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sir! Yes, it's good to see people growing positive.

      Delete
  6. All of us mostly come across situations like this but only Anu and likes of her make us aware of them in a style of their own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very niCE mam.just loved the idea.congratulations for the 2nd anniversary!!awaiting to read more.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done really well over the last one year. And looking forward for more. I am being repetitive in saying that I enjoyed reading your blogs as well as the comments. However You would do well to translate some Hindi saying like 'Nazar lagegi.. Put kavach'. Not exactly your words but as the blogger the responsibility is yours when responding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Oh...I didn't realize that part about the comments...will try to address this next time onwards.

      Delete

Do share your thoughts on this through the comment section. All you need to do is click on the hyperlinked word "comments" at the end of the blog and then enter your message in the box that opens up. If you so wish, you may also get in touch with me through email: anuranganathan31@gmail.com